Sunday, April 1, 2007

Investment, do it when you are Young!

Investment, do it when you are Young!

Something to share:

I knew the concept and importance of investment during 1st year in university. I am glad and awfully thankful to the seniors that provided the valuable exposure which only now, when I am working and financially independent, get to apply what I have learnt into practice. As in those days when my survival solely relied on the PTPTN loan and meager tuition fees from teaching mathematics, I did not have enough money to spare.

Now when I am able and ready to invest, I realized that I had lose out so much due to the compound of interest, which according to Albert Einstein as one of the wonder in the world, in mathematics of course.

A simple scenario would be:

If you plan to have a RM120,000 education fund and have 20 years to raise the fund, let's say you invest in some investments that generates an annual rate of return of 12%, you would need to invest only a little over RM120 a month.

A delay of 5 years, and with 15 years left you will need over RM240 a month. Procrastinate another 10 years, you will have to take almost RM1,470 each month to achieve your target.

For those who had taken the economics subject in uni should be able to do the calculations.

However, it is better to be late than never. I just started investing in another fund under the management of Public Mutual. In fact, I am a certified Public Mutual agent.

For those who doesn't find that the scenario above comprehensive, I will post a table on the power of compound interest for your reference tomorrow.


Don't wait, start when you are young.


Yours sincerely. 03/08/2006

*********************************************************

As promised, the table below will show you The Power of Compound Interest:

Investment Period (Years)

Principal (RM)

Interest (RM)

Total Value (RM)

1

1,200

67

1,267

5

6,000

1,808

7,808

10

12,000

8,655

20,655

15

18,000

23,792

41,792

20

24,000

52,570

76,570

25

30,000

103,789

133,789

35

42,000

340,828

382,282

40

48,000

589,678

636,678

Mode of investment: RM100 at the beginning of each month. Rate of return is 10% per annum and interest income accrued and compounded monthly. The return is more than 13 fold with a mere RM100 per month. I believe most of you working folks are able to fork out more than that monthly, right?

Now do you realized that the sum is not a major problem? It's just that you need to let the compound interest works its magic, with ample time.

Till then.

Yours sincerely.

No comments: